Last Updated on July 14, 2023 by Admin
Lakshadi Guggul: A Polyherbal Formulation for Bone Health
As the population ages, bone illness is becoming a common health concern worldwide. In India, joint diseases and degenerative changes are more prevalent in women, especially among the elderly. The cause of bone pain is complex, and the reasons can be both inflammatory and non-inflammatory, affecting the overall quality of life.
While there are many drugs available to cure pain and inflammation, their efficacy may be limited. In some cases, even surgical treatment does not promise complete relief. Fortunately, nature has provided us with some effective alternatives in the form of herbs. One such herb is Lakshadi Guggul, a polyherbal formulation made from Guggulu, one of the most commonly used ayurvedic herbs, which has been used in Vedic medicine for centuries to alleviate bone-related problems.
Ingredients of Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi Guggul contains six herbal extracts, which are as follows:
|Laksha (Laccifer lacca)
|Laksha has a pacifying effect on the Pitta and Kapha doshas. It aids in healing fractures faster, reduces inflammation, and provides relief from pain.
|Asthisamharaka (Cissus quadrangularis)
|Known for its bone-healing properties, Asthisamharaka enhances bone density, promotes bone growth, and aids in quick healing of fractures. It also has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
|Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna)
|Arjuna is known for its cardiovascular benefits. However, in this context, it helps strengthen the bones, reduces inflammation and pain, and promotes healing.
|Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
|Ashwagandha is a potent adaptogen and has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing pain and inflammation, reduces stress, and boosts immunity.
|Nagbala (Grewia hirsuta)
|Nagbala is used in Ayurveda to strengthen muscles and bones. It also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
|Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
|Guggulu is a resin that has strong anti-inflammatory properties. It is used for a wide range of ailments in Ayurveda, including arthritis, bone density issues, and pain management.
Properties of Lakshadi Guggul
here are the main properties of Lakshadi Guggul:
- Anti-Inflammatory: Helps reduce inflammation in the body.
- Analgesic: Provides pain relief.
- Bone Healing: Aids in the repair and healing of bone fractures.
- Antioxidant: Helps to protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
- Adaptogenic: Helps the body adapt to stress and improves overall well-being.
- Anti-Arthritic: Helps reduce symptoms of arthritis such as joint pain and inflammation.
- Immunomodulatory: Modulates the immune system, enhancing its ability to fight off diseases.
- Anti-Stress: Helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
Benefits of Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi Guggul has several health benefits, which are as follows:
1. Management of Bone Ailments
Lakshadi Guggul is extremely rich in calcium, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones. The deficiency of calcium can lead to osteoporosis, which occurs due to degeneration or deterioration of bone tissue. Lakshadi Guggul has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in bone healing and deposition of calcium on the bone. Regular use of Lakshadi Guggul prevents bone degeneration.
2. Alleviation of Inflammation
Laksha, ashwagandha, and arjuna found in Lakshadi Guggul possess potent anti-inflammatory properties, which help in reducing mild to severe inflammation related to rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
Lakshadi Guggul has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which help in bone rejuvenation and calcium deposition, aiding the pain related to postmenopausal osteoporosis.
4. Reduction of Chronic Fatigue
Lakshadi Guggul is useful in managing general weakness, which can occur due to an imbalance of Kapha dosha and a deficiency of essential minerals in the body. This formulation fills up the essential requirement of calcium in the body, reducing the symptoms of fatigue or weakness.
5. Adaptogenic Benefits
Lakshadi Guggul also has adaptogenic properties, meaning it helps the body adapt to stress. It’s believed to promote overall well-being and improve the body’s resilience to various forms of physical and mental stress.
6. Immune Support
Lakshadi Guggul is also used for its immunomodulatory properties. By helping to modulate and support the immune system, it can enhance the body’s ability to fight off diseases, promoting overall health.
Uses of Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi Guggul is widely used in ayurvedic medicine for the management of bone-related problems. It is useful for the management of low bone mineral density, osteoarthritis, fracture, pain, osteoporosis, and curing the misalignment of bones. It is also used for the treatment of ankle pain, ankle twitch, slipped disc, sprain, back spasm, backache, back injury, stiffness of muscles, and Coccyx pain.
Dosage of Lakshadi Guggul
The dosage of Lakshadi Guggul depends on the severity of the disease, pain, inflammation, and health condition of the respective patient. It is strongly recommended to consult an ayurvedic doctor or medicinal practitioner who, upon evaluating the history and health condition, will recommend the precise dosage. However, a general dosage guideline for adults is as follows:
- Initial Dosage: Start with one tablet 1-2 times a day.
- Maintenance Dosage: 2 tablets 2-3 times a day.
- Maximum Dosage: Up to 6 tablets per day.
These tablets should be taken after food with warm water or milk.
Some important points to remember include:
- Always start with a lower dosage and gradually increase it to the maximum dosage.
- The exact dosage and duration of Lakshadi Guggul should be decided by an Ayurvedic physician.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage unless advised by a healthcare provider.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult with a healthcare provider before taking Lakshadi Guggul.
- Always take Lakshadi Guggul under the supervision of a healthcare provider, especially if you have a chronic health condition or are taking other medications.
Preparation of Lakshadi Guggul
The preparation of Lakshadi Guggul involves several steps as per traditional Ayurvedic methods. Here’s a simplified version of the process:
- Preparation of Decoction: A decoction is prepared using the herbs Laksha, Asthisamharaka, Arjuna, Ashwagandha, and Nagbala. These herbs are boiled in water until the water reduces to one-fourth of its original quantity. This is known as a ‘Kwatha’ or herbal decoction in Ayurveda.
- Preparation of Guggulu: The raw Guggulu (resin from the Commiphora mukul tree) is purified through a process called ‘Shodhana’, which involves boiling it in cow’s milk and then drying it.
- Mixing of Ingredients: The purified Guggulu is then mixed with the herbal decoction and ground into a fine paste.
- Tablet Formation: The paste is then rolled out and cut into small tablets, which are then allowed to dry.
The precise quantities and ratios of the ingredients, as well as the exact method of preparation, can vary based on different Ayurvedic texts or traditions, and the specific requirements of the individual. Therefore, it is generally recommended to purchase Lakshadi Guggul from a reputable Ayurvedic practitioner or pharmacy.
Where to Buy Lakshadi Guggul
Here are a few places where you might be able to purchase it:
- Amazon: Amazon carries a wide variety of products from different retailers, and it’s likely they’ll have Lakshadi Guggul.
- Online Ayurveda retailers: Websites dedicated to Ayurveda and natural health products such as Banyan Botanicals, Dabur, and Patanjali Ayurved may stock Lakshadi Guggul.
- Local health food stores or Ayurvedic shops: If you live in an area with a significant South Asian population, local health food stores or Ayurvedic shops may carry this product.
- Ebay: Ebay often has a variety of health and wellness products available from different sellers worldwide.
Remember to check the reliability and reviews of the seller before making a purchase to ensure that you’re getting a genuine product.
Side Effects of Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi Guggul is unlikely to show any major toxicity or side effects in patients. However, if ingested in heavy dosages (more than 6 grams per day), it can cause stomach upset and headache. It is extremely important to contact a doctor before consuming this herbal-based decoction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Lakshadi Guggul safe for consumption?
A: Yes, Lakshadi Guggul is safe for consumption. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor before consuming this herbal-based decoction.
Q: What is the dosage of Lakshadi Guggul?
A: The dosage of Lakshadi Guggul depends on the severity of the disease, pain, inflammation, and health condition of the respective patient. It is strongly recommended to consult an ayurvedic doctor or medicinal practitioner who, upon evaluating the history and health condition, will recommend the precise dosage.
Q: What are the benefits of Lakshadi Guggul?
A: Lakshadi Guggul has several health benefits, including management of bone ailments, alleviation of inflammation, postmenopausal osteoporosis, and reduction of chronic fatigue.
Q: What are the ingredients of Lakshadi Guggul?
A: Lakshadi Guggul contains six herbal extracts, including Laksha, Asthishrinkhala, Arjun, Ashwagandha, Nagabala, and Guggulu.
Lakshadi Guggul is a polyherbal formulation made from six different herbal extracts. It is rich in calcium, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones. It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties and is useful for the management of low bone mineral density, osteoarthritis, fracture, pain, osteoporosis, and curing the misalignment of bones. Lakshadi Guggul is safe for consumption, but it is recommended to consult a doctor before consuming this herbal-based decoction.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional before starting any new herbal treatment.