Last Updated on August 7, 2023 by Admin
Triphala is an ayurvedic medicine that has been used for centuries for various health benefits. But one of its lesser known uses is as a natural remedy for hair care and growth.
What is Triphala and What Are Its Benefits for Hair?
Triphala is composed of three dried fruits – amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki. This unique blend contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can significantly improve hair health and beauty.
The antioxidants in triphala neutralize free radicals that cause oxidative stress and damage to hair follicles. This prevents premature greying and hair loss. The anti-inflammatory effects reduce scalp inflammation, dandruff and other hair problems. And the antimicrobial properties protect the scalp and hair from infections.
Triphala Promotes Faster Hair Growth and Regrowth
Triphala contains several bioactive compounds and nutrients that can stimulate follicles for faster and healthier hair growth.
Improves Scalp Health
- Triphala has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help treat scalp issues like dandruff, sensitivity and dermatitis.
- It exfoliates the scalp gently to remove dead skin cells, oil and product buildup that clogs follicles.
- An unhealthy scalp with poor circulation can restrict hair growth. Triphala improves scalp health and blood flow to create optimal conditions for growth.
Provides Nutrients for Hair Follicles
- Triphala is rich in vitamins C, A, B-complex and minerals like zinc and iron that nourish hair follicles.
- It helps correct micronutrient deficiencies that lead to thin, brittle hair. The nutrients feed and strengthen follicles to support healthy new growth.
Stimulates Hair Follicle Cells
- Research indicates that triphala promotes faster proliferation of dermal papilla cells that regulate hair growth cycles.
- It increases levels of growth factors like IGF-1 and extends the active anagen phase of hair follicles so more growth occurs.
- Triphala oil compounds activate follicle stem cells from their resting phase making more follicles available for regrowth.
Improves Blood Circulation to Scalp
- Massaging the scalp with triphala oil boosts blood flow and nutrient supply to hair follicles across the scalp.
- This nourishes dormant or damaged follicles, stimulating them to enter the growth phase.
- Better circulation provides oxygen supply allowing follicles to function optimally.
Triphala Prevents Premature Greying and Hair Thinning
Triphala is abundant in antioxidants and nutrients that can prevent as well as reverse greying and excessive hair fall leading to thinning.
Prevents Oxidative Damage
- Hydrogen peroxide build up in hair follicles causes oxidation of melanin, resulting in greying.
- Antioxidants like gallic acid, quercetin, vitamin C in triphala scavenge free radicals and reactive oxygen species.
- This prevents oxidative damage to melanin and maintains natural hair pigmentation.
Restores Melanin Levels
- Triphala stimulates melanocyte cells to produce melanin which gives hair its color.
- It restores melanin levels in hair follicles to cover grey strands. Extended use turns grey hair black.
- Tyrinostat compounds in triphala inhibit the enzyme tyrosinase which causes greying.
- Hair fall occurs when follicles roots become weak and hair strands detach prematurely.
- Triphala makes roots stronger by supplying nutrients like zinc, biotin, proteins, etc.
- It improves follicle anchoring and density reducing hair fall and thinning.
- Its anti-inflammatory action also reduces damage to follicles which causes shedding.
Triphala Adds Shine, Volume and Manageability to Hair
In addition to growing thicker, stronger hair, triphala can also improve hair texture and appearance:
- Its essential fatty acids nourish and moisturize hair, leading to a luminous shine.
- Triphala cleanses hair and scalp deeply to remove dirt, oil and product residue. This helps hair look bouncy and voluminous.
- It makes hair softer, smoother and more manageable by conditioning it from root to tip.
How to Use Triphala for Hair Care and Growth
Triphala can be used in many ways for a healthy scalp and faster hair growth:
Triphala Hair Wash
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of triphala powder and mix it with enough water to make a smooth paste. Adjust the quantity based on your hair length.
- Apply this paste thoroughly across your scalp. Use your fingertips to gently massage the paste into the scalp for a few minutes to boost circulation.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the paste on for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly with water. You may need to shampoo once to wash off any residue.
- Use this triphala hair wash 2-3 times a week for best results. The antioxidants and nutrients will strengthen the follicles, dislodge buildup and boost growth.
Triphala Hair Oil
- Take 2 tablespoons of triphala powder and mix with 1 cup of slightly warmed coconut or sesame oil.
- Keep this mixture in an air-tight jar and let it infuse for 5-7 days, shaking the jar once a day.
- After a week, strain the oil through a cheesecloth or fine sieve to remove the triphala particles.
- Gently massage 2-3 tablespoons of this oil on your scalp and lengths of hair. You can leave it on overnight and wash off in the morning.
- Use this nourishing triphala hair oil 2-3 times a week for stronger, healthier hair.
Triphala Hair Mask
- For the mask, you can mix 1 tablespoon of triphala powder either with 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon of organic honey.
- Adjust the quantity based on your hair length. Apply this mask thoroughly from roots to tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the mask on for 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo and condition as usual. The mask will deep cleanse your scalp, nourish the strands and condition your hair.
- Use this hair mask once or twice a week for best results. Your hair will feel soft, smooth and shiny.
Where to Buy
Here are a few quick tips for buying quality triphala powder:
- Look for organic, pure triphala powder in reputable ayurvedic or herbal stores.
- Buy from brands that source authentic triphala straight from India.
- Purchase from sellers with good reviews and ratings online.
- Check the expiration date and packaging to ensure freshness.
- Compare prices across brands and buy pure triphala powder in bulk for better value.
- Avoid adulterated, modified or formulated triphala powders.
- Consulting an Ayurvedic practitioner can guide you towards quality triphala sources.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about using triphala for hair:
Q: How often should I use triphala for hair care?
A: For best results, aim to use triphala 2-3 times a week either as a hair mask, hair oil or hair wash. Using it more frequently may dry out your hair.
Q: When is the best time to apply triphala – morning or night?
A: Applying triphala formulations like hair oil and masks at night allows more time for the skin to absorb the nutrients while you sleep. The hair wash can be used in the mornings.
Q: Can I leave triphala hair oil overnight?
A: Yes, it is safe and recommended to leave the nourishing triphala hair oil on your scalp and hair overnight and wash it off in the morning.
Q: Will triphala powder stain my hair if used in rinses?
A: There is a slight risk of the powder leaving behind a stain or residue. Make sure to shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly after a triphala hair wash.
Q: Can I use triphala if I have an oily scalp?
A: Yes, triphala is suitable for all scalp types. Its clarifying action will help remove excess oil and buildup from an oily scalp.
Q: How long does it take to see results from using triphala?
A: With regular use of 2-3 times a week, you should notice healthier, stronger hair in 4-6 weeks. Optimal benefits can be seen in about 3-4 months.
Q: What is the best way to use triphala for hair loss?
A: Using triphala hair oil massages and hair masks will provide the best results for managing hair fall and thinning.
Triphala is clearly a wonderful natural solution for various hair problems like thinning hair, greying, dryness, and dandruff. With its antioxidant and nutrient-rich composition, it promotes faster and healthier hair growth. Try triphala hair washes, oils and masks to see transformative effects on your hair!
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional before starting any new herbal treatment.